November Austin SIM Monthly Meeting - STEM: Investing in the Future
November 13, 2018
Have you ever wondered about STEM educational programs and non-profits in the Austin Area? What's their mission, their impact on the community, and how you can participate? Join us as we interview a few of them in one evening? You will be surprised at the depth, reach, and effect these vital organizations have on our present and future.
When: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
Where: The Carillon, Texas Executive Education Center, 1900 University Avenue, Austin, TX 78705 (map
To Register, go to November SIM Austin Meeting
October's Event: InnoTech Austin 2018
We hope you were able to attend and enjoy the many information sessions and opportunities to network at this year's InnoTech Austin Conference on October 2nd and presented by Randstad Technologies.
IT Executive of the Years Awards
The 2018 IT Awards Gala held at InnoTech Austin on October 2, 2018 recognized the Austin IT Award Finalists and congratulated the following IT Leader of the Year recipients:
- Austin IT Legacy Award: Russ Finney, Advisory Partner and Researcher/CIO/McCombs School of Business Lecturer at itm WEB Group LLC
- IT Executive of the Year, Public Sector: Khalil Shalabi, VP Strategy, Technology and Marketing Operations at Austin Energy
- IT Executive of the Year, Private Sector: Michael Elliott, Chief Information Officer at Farm Credit Banks, TX
- Information Technologist/CTO of the Year: Adam Blue, Chief Technology Officer at Q2 Holdings, Inc.
- Austin IT Lifetime Achievement Award: Joe Iannello, Chief Information Officer at Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority
SIM Austin Booth at InnoTech
The SIM Austin Booth was a hit again this year with an innovative topic voting machine created by Jim Keeler which helped drive traffic to the booth. Here are the results of the topics that most interested those that voted:
- First Place Topic: Security/Cybersecurity/Privacy
- A Close Second Place: Talent/Skill Shortage:Retention
- Third Place Topic: A three-way tie between Data Analytics/Data Management, Digital Transformation, and Augmented Reality
- Fourth Place Topic: A three-way tie between Compliance and Regulations, Innovation, and Agility/Flexibility (Business & IT)
Save the Date
December Austin SIM Holiday Happy Hour and Annual Chapter General Meeting - December 11, 2018
Plans are being made for our annual meeting on Tuesday, December 11th from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. along with our final Happy Hour of the year. Stay tuned!
Have you heard of RLF? Are you wondering what it's all about? SIM is committed to development our next generation of Leaders. RLF, SIM's renowned highly-successful leadership development program, has over 4,500 graduates across the world. The program is more than just a set of quick workshops, lectures or seminars. It is:
- A unique conduit for long-term change in professional and personal capabilities.
- A comprehensive series of six 2-day session unfolding over nine-months.
- A participant driven program known for its highly engaging interaction among peer and professional colleagues.
- A program that teaches and instills in people the self-awareness, confidence, emotional intelligence and leadership tools to lift them to the top of their professions.
To help explain RLF, check-out this short LinkedIn article and video which helps convey the essence of the program and captures just a few powerful alumni testimonials.:
For additional information on the program, visit rlf-leadership
Austin SIM Membership News!
2018 SIM Members - It's Time to Renew Your Membership!
Thank you for your SIM Membership in 2018! This year was full of great events and we look forward to providing more valuable programming for 2019. If your SIM membership expires on December 31, 2018, we strongly encourage you to renew your dues so you continue to receive year-round benefits such as:
- Free Monthly Programs with speakers/panels )
- A discount on the InnoTech Austin conference
- Networking with Austin IT Leaders as well as Leaders across the country (Priceless!)
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs):
- 2017 SIM Golf Event for Scholarships
- SIM Austin LinkedIn Group
- Leadership Development programs for you & direct reports
- Visit: SIM Austin Renew
Not a Member? Join Now!
Join the Austin chapter of SIM and collaborate with us on best practices, trends, and lessons learned. We are interested in understanding what resources you need to be successful in your career as well so that we can align our events with the needs of our members.
Membership to the Austin SIM chapter includes membership in SIM National, the premier professional organization for top IT executives.
If you know of a great vendor that you have worked with and can recommend their work to others, please click here Become a Sponsor
Have ideas for the newsletter or other news? Send any ideas, promotions, article links, book reviews, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 SIM Austin Executive Committee & Board Partners
Vijay George (President)
Kathy Wetzel (Treasurer)
Wendi White (VP Programs)
Anh Sellisen (VP Membership)
Robert King (VP Member Engagement)
Blake Holman (VP Sponsorship)
Karen Calvert (VP Communications)
Eric Hungate (Past-President)
John Burgtorf (Trustee)
Bart Lauwers (Trustee)
Casey Burkhart (Executive Committee Support)
Ankur Gaba (Board Partner, Membership)
Keri Pearlson (Board Partner, National SIM Liaison)
Heather Poggi-Mannis (Board Partner, Programs)
Jessica Taylor (Board Partner, Outreach)
Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter!